Thursday, May 26, 2011

AC Window Frame Progress - Vent Port Mounts

I am nearly done with the A/C Window panel project for our third story (attic) I started here, and updated here.

I got the window frame all glued in and ready to go. Working on the window frame I reflected on the idea of "workmanship" and essentially came to the conclusion that it relates directly to the amount of time you commit to screwing with something to get it just right. It took a long time, is what I'm saying.

I'd routed out spaces for the clips from the vent port to lock on, but I didn't mark depth and started out with a dull tool. Tip: when it mostly burns instead of cutting, it's time to throw it out and get a new one. I had to cut the plywood pretty thin, so I figured it could use some more support.

The guy at Lowe's sold me on these for use to hold in the panel to the window frame, but they aren't going to work as intended in my situation. Not wanting them to go to waste I thought these would make a more elegant solution than bolts and washers, my original plan.

They needed some modification, however, so I got out the Dremmel and sanded them down to be just a little taller than the lip of the vent port.

It turned out pretty well, I think. The narrow pitch to the screws did actually find sufficient purchase in the soft plywood to seat securely, but I wouldn't want to push it. I drilled pilot holes slightly smaller than recommended, and not just because I'm missing the bit of the correct size.

Here's the dress rehearsal for the panel. As you can see, the ducts are held securely in place by the window screen hardware and clipped to the panel.

All that's left to do is paint it, build the stand for the A/C unit itself, and clean up those ducts! Almost done, and then I can get back to the RepRap project.

No comments: