Thursday, February 25, 2010

New Nikon 50mm Lens

Day 7/150

DSC_4298

Today I was excited to receive my new Nikon AF 50mm 1.8 D lens from Amazon. Hurray for Amazon Prime! So, took the shots of the pets because I always do when I get new gear. They can't say no and they don't run from cameras the way people do. It is hard to get them to smile on cue, though. After that I wanted to see what the DOF was like and make sure it was sharp, so I hit Big Dog and Eeyore with the SB-900 with the diffuser from a few feet away to the left. Later, on a lark, I shot the same composition with my other two lenses for comparison. It's good to know what your equipment.


It's not a perfect test. Shots (A) and (B) are the 50mm at f1.8 and f2.2 respectively, both at 200 ISO. Then I shot (C) with the AF-S 24-120mm kit lens at f4.8, set to 50mm. Last I shot (D), the old AF 70-210mm at f4. Both of the later shots were at 3200 ISO and I think I got some noise reduction artifacts in them.



DSC_4319

The "150 Days" series is a post-per-day review of design topics to help me brush up on skills and become a better designer and new media producer as part of my career reboot. 

No comments: