Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Converting .NRW Files in Camera Raw for Photoshop on a Mac


DSCN0090-from-raw
Originally uploaded by kwixson
Nowhere on the Internets could I find how I could open the raw files from my new Nikon Coolpix P6000 with the .NRW file extension on my Mac OS X laptop. I have Photoshop CS3 and I want to use Camera Raw. I did NOT want to install the software that came on with my camera. The pages at Adobe about Camera Raw's compatibility indicated that the P6000 was indeed a camera supported in Camera Raw, but even though I had the latest update, it was no good.

Finally I figured it out. If you just rename the file with .NEF as the file extension (because that's the file format of all the raw files from every other Nikon, like my D700) all of a sudden you can open the formerly .NRW files in Photoshop with no problem.

I have to say, apart from this mild panic and frustration I am very happy with my P6000. I think the reviewers were all too nit-picky. it's good.

No comments: